I get a lot of visitors to Plateau Beauty looking for information about Boxycharm in Canada. In my original review, I said that while I liked the box, I probably wouldn’t continue my subscription beyond the two months I had planned.
I ended up sticking around for six months. While I did enjoy my subscription while it lasted, I thought I would assess the items I loved and determine whether the $200+ I spent was worth it.
- Farmacy Brightening Gel Masks (pack of 3) ($24 USD) – Lovely masks, used all three within a week.
- OFRA Liquid Lipstick in Pasadena ($20 USD) – Great shade, I love the OFRA liquid lipstick formula.
- OFRA Magnetic Palette ($59 USD) – This came with six single shadows, which contributes to the price of this item, but I’m pretty pleased with the palette itself. Thin, lightweight, and much needed to store my Coastal Scents hot pots.
- Mally Beauty Rounded Blending Brush ($15 USD) – This brush found its way into my to-give-away box, but it’s a great staple brush.
- Aloepure Time Repair Serum ($48 USD) – I don’t like getting skincare in subscription boxes because I’m so sensitive and particular with my routine. This aloe serum is very nourishing and gentle. I continue to incorporate it into my routine.
- Beauty For Real Shadow Stx ($19 USD) – I’m a sucker for cream shadows, and this shade is perfect. Most bronze shades are extremely orange or yellow; this one is cooler, more taupe.
- Dirty Little Secret Liquid Lipstick in Phantom ($10 USD) – I don’t often wear a bold red, but this new-to-me formula is really nice. Very lightweight and pigmented, I found it extremely long-wearing and comfortable.
Gotta say – didn’t love anything in this box! The Studiomakeup On-The-Go palette is nice but I don’t have much need for it.
- Luxie Beauty Eye Blender Brush Pack ($36 USD) – Major score! Three blending brushes of different sizes, perfect for more precise blending.
- Temptu Shimmer Bronzer ($29 USD) – It says shimmer, but it’s very subtle. Love this liquid bronzer.
As you can see, I really only liked one or two items from each box. Is it worth it?
Total loves: $260 USD / $343 CAD
Total spent on 6-month subscription: $204 CAD
Obviously dollar for dollar, there’s a ton of value here. As with most subscription boxes, subscribe for as long as you like; no need to commit for life. Having subscribed for six months, I would definitely recommend signing up for the 3 or 6 month options. It will save you a few bucks per month. If you want guaranteed flexibility to cancel your subscription at any time, sign up for the month-to-month option.
In the time that I was subscribed, I earned enough “Charms” to cover the cost of shipping on two boxes, but even though I redeemed the charms they were never applied and I was charged the full amount for shipping. My account still shows that my redeemed charms are “pending.” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
One thing to note for Canadians: Boxycharm can’t ship nail polish into Canada, so expect a substitute item. In the June box, I received the OFRA liquid lipstick in Pasadena instead (awesome), but in the September box I received a Vasanti foundation brush instead (meh). As with all items in the box, substitutions are hit or miss.
After six months I decided to cancel my subscription, but no regrets for having subscribed. Canceling was hassle-free, which I really appreciated.
Have you subscribed to Boxycharm? If not, what’s stopping you? Let me know in the comments below.